<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, January 08, 2004

...the best man raises his glass  

Almer asked me to deliver a speech for the usual ceremonies last night. I never liked pre-writing my speeches, being the spontaneous, and usually unprepared crammer that I am. So, from the time I put on my Barong, up until dinner, I wrote the piece in my head, in imaginary bulletpoints. I was lucky that the the bride's best friend, the Matron of Honor went first. It bought me time to give structure to what I wanted to say.

Here goes, as downloaded from inside my cluttered head...

"Almer and I have known each other since we were 12 years old, and though it seemed like ages, we became best friends only after we joined the fraternity. We went to the same high school, took up college in the same university, the only university our families could afford for us, joined the same fraternity, the same organizations, and at one point became roommates after we were kicked out of our dorms. It was in that small boarding house in Project 6 that we built our friendship, as we'd sing Apo Hiking songs over the the guitar, and talk about life as it takes each of us by surprise. Almost every night, we would talk to each other about things that bother us, questions that neither of us could answer, and we'd often wonder about the one thing that we both fear: the future. He'd always tell me about all the girls he was courting, and ask me for my opinion on each of them. Just kidding, Kath. And always, we would end up talking about this very day. And we were both scared of getting married, as we could only guess the amount of emotional preparation one has to make to finally give himself up to one person for the rest of his life. I am glad and overwhelmed, that Almer has finally crossed over and made that decision.

If there was one thing I have always known about Almer, it would be the fact that he is the kind of person who never makes a decision without pondering over the options and consequences a million times over. Each and every choice he has made was for a good reason: When he chose to study in Pisay, it was because he wanted to secure a better future. When he took up college in UP, it was to get the best education there is (oops, sorry, Ateneans...). When he joined the fraternity, it was because he wanted to expand his horizons. When he chose to work for Accenture, it was for a fruitful and challenging career. Not too long ago, he made the biggest decision of his life. And as always, it was for a good reason. And it shows with the way he beams now: that he is truly, and deeply in love with Kath.

This afternoon, I stood beside him as his best man. And it made me feel honored to be chosen as the last person to walk with him before he takes his next step as a married man.

I was able to look up the traditional meaning of what a best man is. In the medieval times, he is supposed stand with the groom at all times, and help him protect his bride from barbarians and raiders, in case they plan to take her away. Almer and Kath, I would like to take that challenge to heart, and tell you that in all trials that may come your way, now that you are one, I will still stand beside you and still and always be your best man."

Comments: 

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?